Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Opinions on Opera

Madama Butterfly

I've always loved different kinds of animation. Stop-motion animation is no exception, especially since works such as "Wallace and Gromit" have always held a special place in my heart. Madama Butterfly is an emotional work, but the ending was probably the part that amazes me the most. The creator of this piece actually took the suicide of a character in its most true form: the actual deconstruction of the doll used in the piece itself. It was so unexpected and clever, really bringing the whole piece together to me.


The Ring Cycle

The set design for this opera is astounding, and I have to agree with the director that technology such as that used in The Ring Cycle could very well bring more interest in pieces such as this one. Personally, I don't mind opera, but I've never actually went out of my way to attend one. What they have done at The Met for The Ring Cycle is just so unique that I may have actually attended a show if I had the ability to. Even if I may not fully appreciate the opera itself, I really could appreciate the intricacies and work that goes into making a stage "come to life". In a generation where entertainment reigns over the classic arts, it may not be a bad idea to inject some of the elements that we hold dear, such as our advancing technology, into the seemingly ageless world of art in an attempt to gain more admiration for classic theater.

No comments:

Post a Comment