Monday, April 22, 2013

The Surrealist Movement

Growing out of Dada, the surrealist movement gave rise to some of my favorite kinds of art. Surreal seemed to focus on the twists and turns of the mind, using more of the imagination or subconscious to create art rather than focusing on copying things out of nature and attempting to refine them. Surrealism allowed artists to focus on some of the most basic carnal instincts of man, while also allowing them to freely explore their own mind, whether this leads to dark, uncovered areas, or large, bright flights of fancy. Dali had the biggest personal effect on me when I was first getting into art. I was never big into the arts, but his work just seemed to speak to me. His work allowed me to explore my own imagination and possibilities. Though I may not plan on going into any artistic field of work, I've always taken inspiration in the surreal and absurd.






Speaking of surreal and absurd, the music videos that we have been watching in class reminded me of a video that was recently directed by Eric Warheim, of Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! fame. The video seems as though it cannot be embedded, so check it out here.

No comments:

Post a Comment